List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Possibly silly question =?utf-8?Q?but=E2=80=A6?=
From:       David Rogers <davidandrewrogers () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-11-28 19:47:51

That's  quite an honour - thanks! Though for myself I'd have to
rank many other posts higher, mainly ones in which someone creates
a brilliant/elegant solution to a problem.

Leaving a blank space in what's  normally the clef area tends to
make it look as if something is missing; the three letters do fill
the gap. And (I  hadn't thought of this part) I  suspect that the
frequent use of all-caps italic is intended to make the thing look
more like a "proper clef" - the treble and bass clefs are curly
and usually have contrasting stroke width - and if that's  the
reasoning, then some kind of "copperplate" style would be a better
fit than the edged-pen style I've sometimes seen.

BUT - "Proper clefs" are functional, and T A B isn't. Since a
guitar-tab staff represents strings, I'd suggest that a real
proper guitar tab clef could be something that shows what tuning
is being used. But maybe that's  problematic for other reasons, and
I  can't even play guitar, so I'll be quiet now.

--
David Rogers