List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: trying to define microtonal note names and accidentals
From:       Hans_Åberg <haberg-1 () telia ! com>
Date:       2020-10-22 18:53:48

> On 22 Oct 2020, at 15:46, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm hoping to dip into these waters eventually. I tried using the HEJI fonts with \
> kind assistance from Konstantin Heuer (who has been working on updating microlily), \
> but without much luck so far.
> I have developed one microtonal score so far (mostly I write electronic music for \
> which scores are not needed), and since it's a quite minimal piece with only seven \
> pitches, I opted to annotate the score with offsets in cents on the first \
> appearance of each pitch, and added a performance note section to document the \
> associations between the pitch offsets and the actual ratios I intended.
> I would like to use microtonal accidentals at some point, but the fact that there \
> are competing styles (Helmholtz-Ellis, Johnston, Sagittal, ...) is concerning since \
> it's hard enough to find performers who will even recognize the various notations \
> and interpret them correctly. So using cents offsets, in this particular case, \
> seemed like a more "objective" way to indicate the pitches. But of course this is a \
> matter of taste and preference.

You might start with Helmholtz-Ellis notation with single and double arrowheads, \
which are easy to interpret:

The single arrowheads are syntonic commas 81/80 for Just Intonation, but are close \
enough for the Pythagorean commas used in Turkish music. The double arrowheads is an \
amount suitable for Arabic and Persian music as point of departure, it seems.

When using E53, which is a close approximation of Pythagorean tuning, the arrows \
alter one or two E53 tonesteps, also called commas. Then E72 can be used instead if \
one wants the diatonic pitches refer to E12.