List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: macro for \once\override
From:       Aaron Hill <lilypond () hillvisions ! com>
Date:       2020-08-29 17:55:12

On 2020-08-29 10:38 am, David Kastrup wrote:
> Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> writes:
>> Is this pushing things too far?
>
> Well, essentially a similar problem.  How do you figure out the
> difference between setting something to a context mod, and making a
> smart alist modification?

I do not believe there are any context or grob properties that accept
ly:context-mod?.  But who knows what the future might hold.

It could be reasonable that the "\override Foo \with { ... }" pattern
implies the nested use of \with, meaning you could not assign a context
mod in that syntax.  You would have to revert to the existing "\override
Foo = \with { ... }" form.

But it seems a shame that \tweak does not get the enjoy the same
benefits.  I guess you would have to simply decide that \tweak always
assumes ly:context-mod? is a smart alist modifier.

-- Aaron Hill