List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Arbitrary MIDI
From:       Cam <camfarnell () bitflipper ! ca>
Date:       2020-02-23 19:35:15

On 2020-02-23 10:17 a.m., David Kastrup wrote:
> Cam <camfarnell@bitflipper.ca> writes:

> > David,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply. At least your answer is clear and unequivocal :)
> >
> > I will work around.
>
> The Midi backend is pure C++, not accessible to Scheme programming and
> not even using Scheme garbage collection.  That would be good to change
> some day, but that's a long-term perspective without currently ongoing
> or even started work, and without a Scheme way into _any_ Midi,
> generating arbitrary Midi bytes just does not appear to make a lot of
> sense as they could not be usefully serialised.
>
> One could conceive of a few special-cased "performers" that could pick
> up data of certain kinds (generic controllers or stuff?): that kind of
> thing might actually work without opening up Midi to Scheme in general.
>
> But at the current point of time, there is nothing implemented, and more
> importantly there is absolutely nothing you could do without going to
> C++ first.

Thanks for the additional info.

Although it would be slightly more convenient to be able to embed some arbitrary MIDI \
in the Lilypond source, I can work around without great difficulty. The point is to \
control some non-musical gear which responds to MIDI messages. I invoke Lilypond, \
from within a Python program, to compile short musical phrases which are then glued \
together and merged to create a single MIDI output file.

Cheers

Cam