List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Choral scores conventions question
From:       Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm () gmx ! de>
Date:       2019-08-23 9:33:40

Hi Jacques,

> I've created this score from a psalms book, both attached, with explicit, sometimes \
> artificial, time signatures and rests for the time being.
> What is the usual way to setup such a choral, in terms of compound time signatures, \
> partials, measure 13 spanning over a line break, minimizing the number of rests \
> such as measure 4, the display of rests at measure 8, and the like?

I would always recommend to keep everything as close as possible to the
actual style of writing employed by composers like Schein. The original
1627 printing looks as follows:

https://imgur.com/a/wZMsAq3
https://imgur.com/a/pcCDMoV

Of course, today we would prefer using an actual score in 2 or 4 staves,
but I'd strongly argue against pretending there is an actual alternating
metre, actual measures and so on.

I didn't typeset exactly this tune, but here is an example from
Osiander's collection that I engraved some time ago:

https://imgur.com/a/SKoDwJB

Best
Lukas