List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    "as fast as possible" pseudo-tuplets
From:       "N. Andrew Walsh" <n.andrew.walsh () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-12-30 14:38:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi List,

I'm working on a realization of Stockhausen's "Plus Minus", and one of its
frequent features is the instruction to play a group of notes "as fast as
possible". In contemporary music notation there is a common practice of
notating rapid passages with a single slashed beam and irregular note
spacing, giving the duration as a note value with a tuplet bracket. I see
in the LSR the following:

http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=721
and
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=797

which together seem like they'd provide the necessary function, but I don't
know how to implement them together as a single command. What I would like
is the following, if possible:

I can treat the passage as a tuplet, allowing me to calculate the entire
duration,
which I can then specify to be displayed instead of a tuplet number,
the passage will be contained under a single, slashed beam, and (optionally)
the note-spacing can be irregular (does Lily even have this capability? To
apply randomized x-offsets to specific notes without interfering with the
alignment of other voices?)

LSR 721 makes it look like even getting slashed beams involves a lot of
Scheme code; is there a more elegant way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help.