List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    =?UTF-8?Q?Engraving_2=c2=bd_vocal_parts?=
From:       "Christopher R. Maden" <crism () maden ! org>
Date:       2018-12-24 3:53:10

Continuing the work on my chantey songbook... <URL:
http://music.maden.org/index.php?title=Spanish_Ladies_(New_England) >
has seven lines in the chorus, but two pairs are nearly identical.  I'm
trying to set them as single lines, with splits as needed, resulting in
a staff with two lines most of the time, with an occasional split to
three.  That seemed to me like a good compromise with having to have
four separate staves with illogical divisions as to what part went
where, or five separate staves.

Anyway: MWE is attached (with 6 different approaches) and the resulting
PDF.  I'd like something like staff 5. except with splits; staves 3.,
4., and 6. all show slightly different attempts to get it, without
success.  Staves 1. and 2. show a naïve approach, which I think you'll
agree is too cluttered.

Staff 7. shows the output I'd like... but it required rewriting a line
using <chords>.  Given that all the lines are already defined as
variables, and have discrete voices in the MIDI output, I'd really like
to avoid that approach...

Suggestions?

Happy Christmas to those who observe that holiday; warmth and light at
the winter solstice to all the northerners; remember to use sunscreen to
all the southerners.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
Emperor Norton had the right idea.

["2.5-voices.ly" (text/x-lilypond)]

\version "2.18.2"

descant = \relative c' {
  d4 | g g g | g2
}

melody = \relative c' {
  g4 | c c g | c2
}

altMelody = \relative c' {
  g4 | c c c | c2
}

melSplit = \partcombine \melody \altMelody

\new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "1."
}
<<
  \clef "treble_8"
  \key c \minor
  \time 3/4
  \partial 4
  <<
    \descant \\
    \melody \\
    \altMelody

\new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "2."
}
<<
  \clef "treble_8"
  \key c \minor
  \time 3/4
  \partial 4
  <<
    { \new Voice \voiceOne \descant }
    { \new Voice \voiceThree \melody }
    { \new Voice \voiceTwo \altMelody }

\new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "3."
}
<<
  \clef "treble_8"
  \key c \minor
  \time 3/4
  \partial 4
  <<
    \descant \\
    { \partcombine \melody \altMelody }

\new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "4."
}
<<
  \clef "treble_8"
  \key c \minor
  \time 3/4
  \partial 4
  <<
    { \new Voice \voiceOne \descant }
    { \new Voice \voiceTwo \partcombine \melody \altMelody }

\new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "5."
}
<<