List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re:v2.19.82 documentation unusable? (Aaron Hill)
From:       Cynthia Karl <pckarl () mac ! com>
Date:       2018-11-27 18:16:48

> On Nov 24, 2018, at 9:51 AM,Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:
>

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 10:34:39 -0800
> From: Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com>
> To: lilypond-user@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?
>
> On 2018-11-23 7:30 am, David Kastrup wrote:
> > Patrick Karl <patrickkarl@me.com> writes:
> >
> > > I thank everyone for the replies.  I?ll just wait till it?s fixed.
> > >
> > > I tried to find a version of Emmentaler-20 I could install on my mac,
> > > but had no luck.  Is that a way out?  I have to admit that fonts are
> > > pretty much a black hole for me.
> >
> > PDF files should embed every font they contain.  If you have to install
> > external fonts for viewing them, something is broken.  Try using the
> > documentation files of 2.19.81 instead.
>
> Since the issue is that fonts are not embedded, I wondered if the
> solution is as simple as embedding them after the fact.  The important
> missing fonts in question are shipped with LilyPond, so then it was
> matter of looking online for a little bit of GhostScript:
>
> gs -o path-to-fixed.pdf \
> -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dEmbedAllFonts=true \
> -sFONTPATH="path-to-fonts" \
> path-to-broken.pdf
>
> On my system, "path-to-fonts" would be:
>
> /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/
>
> Running the command against all of the 2.19.82 PDFs from the web site,
> the results are a significant improvement.  There were only a few
> substitutions due to additional missing fonts, but those are largely
> irrelevant (i.e. "LuxiMono" used as an example of overriding the
> typewriter font).
>
> Something for folks to consider to tide us over until the next release.
>
> -- Aaron Hill

On my mac I had to do:

GS_LIB=/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/ghostscript/9.21/Resource/Init \
 export GS_LIB

or gs would not execute due not being able to find gs_init.ps.  I tried to use "-x" \
with the above path but gs didn't recognize the "-x". Also, "path-to-fonts" on my \
system was:

/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf

I have run your command on changes.pdf, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks to all for their comments.  I wonder if there might be some new users (or old) \
that tried v2.19.82 and ran into this problem and got frustrated.  Maybe it would be \
helpful to delete the English versions of the v2.19.82 manuals from the lilypond.org \
site, possibly with a note to use the v2.19.81 versions, at least until a new version \
of lilypond without this problem comes out. \