List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Key signature on multiple staves
From:       Michael Gerdau <mgd () qata ! de>
Date:       2017-08-31 15:44:35

------=_Part_66731_1052986832.1504194275893

I object against calling the best practice provided by Jens as "\global hack".

Let's use a different perspective:
Programs like Finale or Sibelius require you to have the same key for each staff. \
While that may be convenient for a lot of music I actually think that's a shortcoming \
of these programs as they do not allow you to write music with staffs using different \
keys (the possible retort "I don't need that flexibility" is not valid when others \
want it). Even when using transposing instruments there are clear limitations to what \
you can achieve.

Lilypond on the other hand does not put any such restriction on you.

Apart from that applying some general settings to each an every staff, aka having a \
macro with these settings that's customarily called global, is something I find \
helpful when structuring my code and that I use anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Kind regards,
Michael

> Robert Murdoch <rmurdoch6@ntlworld.com> hat am 31. August 2017 um 16:24 \
> geschrieben:
> On 31/08/2017 11:00, Robert Murdoch wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I set the key signature to appear on multiple staves without
> > manually setting \key for every staff? This question was asked around
> > ten years ago (see
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-09/msg00333.html)
> > and still doesn't seem to have been resolved.
> >
> > Thank you for your time.
> >
> > Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been trying to set up GNU Mailman
> > through VirtualBox these past hours, but ended up ragequitting.
> >

> Anyway, I don't think I elaborated properly. I was already aware of the
> \global hack, but one is essentially replacing a command with a variable
> containing the same command. You still need to insert \global on every
> staff so it's the exact same thing to me.
>
> I was hoping one could program LilyPond so that one could simply insert
> the \key command on one staff and it would automatically print the key
> signature on all staves at that point without needing to write pointless
> variables, like the \time command already does. If there really is no
> way, there really should be, I think.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond anyway.

------=_Part_66731_1052986832.1504194275893

<!DOCTYPE html>
like Finale or Sibelius require you to have the same key for each staff. While that \
may be convenient for a lot of music I actually think that&#39;s a shortcoming of \
these programs as they do not allow you to write music with staffs using different \
keys (the possible retort &#34;I don&#39;t need that flexibility&#34; is not valid \
when others want it). Even when using transposing instruments there are clear \
limitations to what you can achieve.</p><p>Lilypond on the other hand does not put \
any such restriction on you.</p><p>Apart from that applying some general settings to \
each an every staff, aka having a macro with these settings that&#39;s customarily \
called global, is something I find helpful when structuring my code and that I use \
August 2017 um 16:24 geschrieben:</p><p>On 31/08/2017 11:00, Robert Murdoch \
multiple staves without<br>manually setting \key for every staff? This question was \
asked around<br>ten years ago (see<br><a \
href="http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-09/msg00333.html">http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-09/msg00333.html</a>)<br>and \
still doesn&#39;t seem to have been resolved.</p><p>Thank you for your \
time.</p><p>Sorry it took so long to reply. I&#39;ve been trying to set up GNU \
Mailman<br>through VirtualBox these past hours, but ended up \
was already aware of the<br>\global hack, but one is essentially replacing a command \
with a variable<br>containing the same command. You still need to insert \global on \
program LilyPond so that one could simply insert<br>the \key command on one staff and \
it would automatically print the key<br>signature on all staves at that point without \
needing to write pointless<br>variables, like the \time command already does. If \

------=_Part_66731_1052986832.1504194275893--