List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Adding an introductory note(s)
From:       Stephen Nesbitt <snesbitt () aussieswithtails ! com>
Date:       2017-07-31 15:27:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I transcribe a lot of fiddle tune music and I struggled with the anacrusis
element. I thought I'd share my experience and how I resolved them. There
may be a more elegant way, but my solution is working for me.

 The anacrusis limitations/quirks that I struggled with included the
following.
1) Placement of a NC (no chord) element above the pickup bar if no chord is
provided - which it typically isn't

2)  The inability to have more than one instance of partial. Fiddle tunes
are often notated with pickups for the A & B sections.

3) Lack of awareness that the final measure will be a "short" measure
missing the beats provided by the anacrusis. That is, if there is a 1 beat
anacrusis, then the final measure in the piece will only contain 3 beats.
If using bar validation, this will generate an error.

I worked around items 1 and 3 by adding a space (s) the length of the
anacrusis. In 4/4 time with a one beat pickup my first chord will be s4 and
my last note in the piece will also be an s4.

I get around item 2 by using repeats with two alternatives. In the A
section the final notes of the first alternative are the same notes as in
the pickup bar, while the final notes in the second alternative are the
pickup notes to the B section.

In the B section, the final notes in the first alternative are the pickup
notes of the B second, while the second alternative is my short measure.

Hope this makes sense.

-steve