List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Choice of pitch input mode
From:       Paul Morris <paul () paulwmorris ! com>
Date:       2016-04-30 21:22:27

> On Apr 29, 2016, at 6:56 PM, Jeff Olson <jjocanoe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And for the limited range of a guitar (3.5 octaves) I can \transpose c c'
> to minimize the number of octave marks in absolute mode (so range is e, to b'').
> Thus I never encounter long high runs of 32nds above c'''.

The latest dev version (LilyPond 2.19.x) also has a \fixed mode that lets you set a \
default octave which saves typing, providing some of the advantages of both \relative \
and \absolute.

For example:

{
  \key a \major
  \time 6/8
  cis''8. d''16 cis''8 e''4 e''8 |
  b'8. cis''16 b'8 d''4 d''8 |
}

\fixed c'' {
  \key a \major
  \time 6/8
  cis8. d16 cis8 e4 e8 |
  b,8. cis16 b,8 d4 d8 |
}

From:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/absolute-note-names.en.html

It looks like \fixed is not mentioned in the changes list yet:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/changes/index.html

Cheers,
-Paul