List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: How to get lyrics to skip measures?
From:       Vaughan McAlley <vaughan () mcalley ! net ! au>
Date:       2015-01-28 10:43:51

On 27 January 2015 at 10:53, Chris Trahan <trahan.chris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Kieren. That's what I tried in the 1st place but the actual musical passage \
> is not as simple as my example, so using \skip is very unwieldy.  It's a whole \
> verse.

\skip in lyrics is indeed arcane and unwieldy. The relationship
between the time value after \skip and what is actually skipped seems
as good as random to me. musicxml2ly does all lyric skipping,
including melismas, with \skip4 (regardless of time signature), and
still I have no idea how it works. But as you worked out, new voice
contexts are your friend.

Vaughan