List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Re=3A_Time_signatures_=A2=A2_and_cc?=
From:       Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-09-26 13:27:53

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Simon Albrecht wrote:

> Now the interpretation and history of the various time signatures derived in
> some way from mensural notation is a complex issue, as is the disambiguation
> of c and cut c.

One of the things I remember from my music Theory and History classes is
that C had not much to do with the letter "C" but was in fact half of a
circle. The Circle O was used when there were 3 beats in a measure, the
Tempus Perfectum, 3 being the Holy number: God, the Son, and the Holy
Spirit. In contrast the "human" 4/4 time was "Imperfectum" - just the half
of a circle, making it look like the letter "C".

Listening to the Radio and Spotify, where 99% of the music is in 4/4
time, I am afraid God is not in a winning mood these days ;-)

--

MT