List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: lyrics to music
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2012-11-20 15:41:38

On 20/11/2012 16:25, Fr. Michael Gilmary, mma wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>
> Here's a general question that's bothered me for some time ... because
> I'm not a musician or composer ---
>
> when setting lyrics to music, is it ever acceptable to join eighth
> notes across syllables or even across words?
>

> I have been told by a reliable expert (hi Rembrandt!) that joining the
> eighth notes across syllables/words is never done ... but I have
> examples like the second one here from a very accomplished composer.
> Maybe he just isn't familiar with how to prevent his program from
> joining them. It certainly makes for difficult reading of the lyrics,
> IMHO.

In the 18th and 19th century, melismas were indicated by beams, so back
then the eights would never get beamed, unless they were a melisma (i.e.
belonged to the same syllable).
However, modern and contemporary notation will use the same beaming as
for instruments and instead indicate melismas with slurs.

So, it's basically a convention and your choice whether you want to use
the traditional way (never beam notes across syllables) or the modern
notation practice.

As a (classical) singer, I have to admit, I'm always confused by the
modern notation and sight-reading takes much more effort than with the
traditional notation. That might, however, also be due to me being used
only to the traditional notation.

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, reinhold@kainhofer.com, http://www.kainhofer.com