List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: About Vertical Spacing
From:       Tim Roberts <timr () probo ! com>
Date:       2012-07-24 16:49:25

developer wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a lilypond user, lilypond is a very good software that help me
> show scores. In recently, I want to develop something based on
> lilypond. That is a program play a music and showing a scrolled score.
> I plan to put the pdf(lilypond created) as a background and put a
> cursor on the playing note. In the Spacing Chapter of the mumal, I
> find the horizontal rule of spacing and now I can estimate space
> between two notes. But in vertical, I don't know how to estimate to
> space between to score.

So, are you just estimating the position of each note, based on nothing
more than elapsed time?  You aren't, for example, parsing the PDF file
to try to determine the actual locations of the notes?

I'm not convinced that such an approach can be made to work.  The rules
that make Lilypond output so beautiful intentionally move notes away
from their strictly time-based position.  Further, notes are sometimes
spread out to fill out a staff that would otherwise be too short.

My apologies if I have misunderstood, but I'd like to know more about
what you're doing.

--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.