List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: "counting-numbers" above bars called with \repeat unfold
From:       David Nalesnik <david.nalesnik () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-28 16:30:58

Hi Harm,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Thomas Morley <
thomasmorley65@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The other problem: In bar 5 and 6 of Example 2 you may notice, that
> the numbers are placed differently.

Yes, so they are.  I never would have noticed this!

> I want to keep the appended space in "list-helper", so I added a
> condition there: If I delete the space the numbers "drop down" in many
> cases.
> On the other hand, if the added space isn't enough they drop down
> anyway, and I have to add a 'padding-override (Example 3, bar 20 ff).
> I'm not sure what to do here, and I'm not even sure, if I should do
> anything additionally.

Have you thought of adding the numbers to an (otherwise invisible) spanner?
 You could set its bounds to the left and right bounds you've found.

A little offtopic (might be worth another thread):
> I noticed your engraver.
> Learning how to programm my own scheme-engravers is top on my
> wish-list. So I'm very interested to study all succesfull attempts.
> (BTW Did you finish your box-engraver?)

I've given up on the box engraver for the moment, but the engraver I just
contributed for drawing glissandi between fingering numbers seems to work
alright:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-01/msg00710.html

> I found a little tutorial
> here:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor-big-page#engraver-tutorial
> This seems to be more for the work with C++ but I guess the principles
> are equal. Do you know about others, more scheme-orientated?

I haven't found a tutorial for Scheme engravers (which doesn't mean one
doesn't exist!) and whatever I know comes from the CG and the examples I've
found.  Besides the engravers which Neil has contributed on the user list,
there are a number of engravers to study: among the regression tests; the
two snippets at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/snippets/contexts-and-engravers;
Nicholas Sceaux's engraver for Baroque ornamentation at
https://github.com/nsceaux/nenuvar/blob/master/common/side-ornementations.ily.
 These are the ones I know of.

(One thing I find confusing is the order in which the various "methods" are
called,  Drawing on the example at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/input/regression/9d/lily-2181c892.ly  I've
found it very helpful to print moments to the log, or add a counter which
increments as methods are called in turn.)

Could work your own engraver into the measure counter?

HTH,
David