List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: point and click
From:       Urs Liska <lists () ursliska ! de>
Date:       2011-09-27 12:30:35

Am 27.09.2011 14:20, schrieb Wilbert Berendsen:
> Op Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:46:01 +0200
> Urs Liska<lists@ursliska.de>  schreef:
>
>> And (according to the release notes) it still works after you have
>> changed the source code (the links lilypond attach to the objects
>> point to specific line numbers, and if the code is changed they point
>> to the wrong place.
> Frescobaldi 2 couples the point-and-click links as soon as a PDF is
> loaded to positions in the text document. If you alter the document, the
> links in the PDF document stay connected with the positions in the
> text document.
>
> Frescobaldi 2 can also find objects in the PDF: if you walk with the
> text cursor or select text, the corresponding objects in the PDF are
> highlighted. If you press Ctrl+J, the PDF scrolls to the page where the
> music at the text cursor is at.
>
> This paves the way to more interesting capabilities, as Frescobaldi
> knows what type of object a clickable link in the PDF represents (a
> note, rest, slur, articulation, rehearsalmark, etc) because it
> continuously parses the text as it is entered or modified. The parsed
> tokens are stored, so lookup what kind of object is at some cursor
> position is very fast.
>
> (You can see this e.g. when you hover a slur in the music, Frescobaldi
> highlights not only the start parenthesis of the slur in the text but
> also the ending one.)
>
> So in the future it may become possible to drag a note to a different
> octave, or to draw slurs between notes by dragging, or to right-click
> a slur and select "Down" or "Dashed" or whatever. All without needing
> any change to LilyPond itself.
>
> best,
> Wilbert

This indeed sounds very interesting. Still waiting to try out the
current state though ...

I had some ideas for UI improvements for some time. I'll try to condense
them to a set of concrete suggestions. Maybe they are also easier to
implement when you already seem to have such a input parsing framework
... (but maybe they could already be obsolete by your enhancements ...)

Best
Urs