List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Whole bar rest disappears
From:       RobUr <16bit () golden-ears ! de>
Date:       2011-04-29 16:13:29

Am 29.04.2011, 16:06 Uhr, schrieb Brent Annable <brentannable@gmail.com>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm sorry for spamming the list with my little problem, but it's driving me
> bananas and I'm at the end of my rope.
>
> I produced a score from which I am now removing various sections by
> commenting them out. When I do this, the whole-bar rest in the final system
> of the piece disappears, and in the log file Lilypond complains of a
> barcheck failure (among other less fatal things). My guess is that, despite
> my efforts to tell Lilypond that I don't want any time signature in the
> piece (by turning off the engraver), it is still counting somehow, and that
> without the cuts the barlines coincidentally match up with what Lilypond is
> counting, and with the cuts, they don't.
>
> My question is: what is the easiest way to solve this? I've racked my brain
> but am obviously still too new at this.
>
> I've attached the files. Sorry for the lack of minimal example, but I don't
> think that would be much use here anyway as the problem would probably
> disappear. And I couldn't attach the PDF as it made the email too big, but
> I'm using the latest release so it's simple to generate.
>
> Many thanks for any help,
>
> Brent.

Dear Brent,

keep "Time_signature_engraver" and use \override TimeSignature #'stencil = #'() in \
den staff context instead. Now you can (a) use "\time 4/4", "\time 3/4" or "\time \
5/4" without printing the time signature (b) let bars be printed automatically \
without calling \bar "|" (remove \set Score.automaticBars = ##f as well or set to \
##t)

Best, Robert