List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: How do I stop circles from wobbling?
From:       David Kastrup <dak () gnu ! org>
Date:       2010-12-31 14:49:09

"Robin Bannister" <rcb@dataway.ch> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
> > the vertical extent should fit in the circles
> > necessitated by the horizontal extent.
>
> The 4 is big enough to ensure that all the vertical extents do fit,
> but (because of this) they all fit loosely. This looseness means that
> to decide where to position a circle vertically a further criterion is
> needed.
>
> Behind the scenes the circle-stencil bases its circle on the centre of
> the vertical extent (see stencil.scm and issue 107). This of course
> varies e.g. between button strings "G" and "g".
>

> > Can anybody tell me what to do to keep the circles from wobbling?

[...]

> A line average is insufficient e.g. the bottom line has no "g". A
> total average seems inconvenient so I would do it with a fiddle
> factor. Replace
>
> > #:hcenter-in 4
>
> with
>
> > #:with-dimensions (cons -2 2) (cons 0 1.5) #:center-align
>
> and adjust the 1.5 to taste.

What I use currently is

#(define-markup-list-command (buttons layout props str) (string?)
  (map (lambda (str)
	(interpret-markup layout props (markup #:hcenter-in 10.8 #:circle #:pad-to-box '(0 . \
0) '(-0.5 . 2) #:hcenter-in 4 str)))  (string-split str #\-)))

and this works reasonably well.

Thanks, I did not expect an answer anymore.

All the best,

--
David Kastrup