List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Questions before starting big piece. Pushing myself...
From:       "James E. Bailey" <derhindemith () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-28 23:12:12

El 28.02.2009, a las 23:25, aliteralmind escribió:

> For the first time, I'm stretching myself beyond just melodies.
>
> I have some old six-plus part acapella arrangements that I
> handwrote, and
> want to put into LilyPond.
>
> I'm scared. Let's just say that off the bat.  :'  )
Why be scared, it's just music. It's not going to bite...hopefully

> I'm going to start fooling around now, but I have some questions so
> I design
> this well from the beginning.
You'll probably figure out halfway through a way that works way
better for you than what you've been using.

> -- First, the big question: How should I deal with parts that I
> want to
> sometimes have on their own staves, and sometimes be consolidated with
> others on the same staff? Sometimes two parts are consolidated,
> sometimes
> four or more. Sometimes one part splits temporarily into two.

I would suggest separating the parts into voices, and putting each
voice into its own variable. If a part splits temporarily, but it's
just a part that splits, I would leave those in the same variable
(assuming that the part remains on one staff, if one part splits onto
two staves, I would separate them). Then have a completely separate
variable where you throw all of the staff changes. (I haven't tested
that that works, but in theory...)

> -- What is the best way you recommend putting textual notes before
> the music
> starts? I mean recommendations and requests for each part.
\markup