List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: How to stop melisma line?
From:       "James E. Bailey" <jamesebailey () mac ! com>
Date:       2008-09-29 8:15:48

Another solution, (and the one that I use), is to put the notes for which the words are different into a different voice context, and then add lyrics to that voice. It requires a bit more planning before you begin to typeset, but it makes files a little easier to navigate, in my opinion, and I can separate things out a bit easier.

soprano = \relative c'' {
   \context Voice = "soprano 1" {
      c4 c c c ~
      c1 ~
      c4 } c r c
   \context Voice = "soprano 2" { c4 c c c }
}

alto = \relative a' {
  a4 a a a
  a a a a
  a a a a
  a a a a
}

sopranolyricsone = \lyricmode {
   la -- la -- la -- la __
}

sopranolyricstwo = \lyricmode {
   la -- la -- la
}

altolyrics = \lyricmode {
  la -- la -- la -- la,
  la -- la -- la -- la,
  la -- la -- la -- la,
  la, la -- la -- la!
}

\score {
   <<
      \new Staff = "staff" <<
         \context Voice = "soprano" { \voiceOne \soprano }
         \context Voice = "alto" { \voiceTwo \alto }

      \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "staff" } \lyricsto "soprano 1" \sopranolyricsone
      \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "staff" } \lyricsto "soprano 2" \sopranolyricstwo
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "alto" \altolyrics

}