List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Music for the Martians?
From:       "Anthony W. Youngman" <lilypond () thewolery ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2006-11-29 10:41:10

In message <B9BF8D79-630A-4BBC-A9C8-37B72D4F65C1@hetnet.nl>, Arjan Bos
<arjan.bos@hetnet.nl> writes
>When trying to be helpful and create a patch, I noticed that the
>development switched from CVS to GIT. Why? Now I have to find out what
>git is, how it works and how to get it. First try Fink as that's  the
>semi-default package manager on Darwin. It cannot connect to cvs  to
>update itself. The error message tells me to try again later.  Mmph,
>only later it still doesn't work. Turns out I have to run an  update
>script that is almost guaranteed not to work and which should  be
>babysitted for several hours. Hate.

Maybe because GIT is a lot less work for main developers?

With CVS, HanWen has to keep a "master tree", and every time he updates,
everyone else has to throw away their development tree, take a copy of
his master, and merge all their changes back in.

With GIT, when that happens, the other developers simply say "merge all
HanWen's changes into my tree" - there is NO master tree.

Makes life so much easier as the number of developers starts rising.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk