List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Lyrics extender problem
From:       Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson () ee ! kth ! se>
Date:       2006-03-30 20:52:07

This must be an obscure bug, unless I am missing something obvious. An
even shorter illustration of the bug is:

\version "2.8.0"

sopMusic = \relative c'' {
  c4 c c8( b) c4
}
sopWords = \lyricmode {
  hi hi hi __ hi
}
     \score { <<
    \new Lyrics = sopI { s1 }
    \new Staff = women {
      \new Voice =
      "sopranos"  \sopMusic    }
    \new Lyrics =  sopII { s1 }
      \context Lyrics = sopI \lyricsto sopranos \sopWords
    \context Lyrics = sopII \lyricsto sopranos \sopWords

}

Luckily, there is a workaround, namely to use the alignAboveContext
property that so far only is documented in the example called
"alignment-order.ly" in the Regression Tests document. Then you don't
have to define the Lyrics contexts before you use them. Instead you can
do:

\version "2.8.0"

sopMusic = \relative c'' {
  c4 c c8( b) c4
}
sopWords = \lyricmode {
  hi hi hi __ hi
}
     \score { <<
    \new Staff = women {
      \new Voice =
      "sopranos"  \sopMusic    }
      \context Lyrics = sopI {\set alignAboveContext = "women"
\lyricsto sopranos \sopWords }
    \context Lyrics = sopII \lyricsto sopranos \sopWords

}

I have no idea why this works but the other version doesn't work, though.

   /Mats