List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: adjusting stem length
From:       Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson () s3 ! kth ! se>
Date:       2005-02-24 10:35:51

Jean-marc LEGRAND wrote:

> Hi list !
>
> Working on XP with lily 2.4.2
>
> I have to adjust the stem length of several notes beamed together.
>
> I've tried :
>
> \once \override Stem #'beamed-lengths = #'(4) a8 [b c d e f]
>
> but it doesn't do anything, whereas

Sure it does something, try #'beamed-lengths = #'(20) to see
what happens, namely that the setting only applies to the first
note, not to all notes involved in the beam.

>  \override Stem #'beamed-lengths = #'(4) a8 [b c d e f]
>
> is OK.
>
> Is there a way to make sort of a  \override Stem #'beamed-lengths = ##f after the notes to go back
> to a normal and automatic stem length ?

The best, as has already been pointed out, is probably to do a
\revert after the full beam.

> Another thing is that I don't quite understand the syntax of this  \override Stem
> #'beamed-lengths...

Search the mailing list archives, I think you can find some
explanations there if the one in the manual doesn't help you.
Also, since Graham has done several documentation improvements
very recently, it might be a good idea to look also at the
manual for version 2.5 in such situations, since most of the
updates haven't propagated back to the manual of version 2.4.

    /Mats