List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: marks, voltas, and key signatures
From:       lilypond () thewolery ! demon ! co ! uk
Date:       2005-01-26 13:13:48

gperlist@shaw.ca wrote:

> On 25-Jan-05, at 5:40 AM, lilypond@thewolery.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> > gperlist@shaw.ca wrote:
> > > Read the chapter on "changing defaults"; it discusses where to
> > > place that override.
> >
> > Found it, thanks. Next problem ... I can't see an "ignore collisions"
> > type property for VoltaBracket. Bearing in mind that it's mostly empty
> > space, I can't see the point (in most situations) of avoiding a
> > collision. And, just as kerning allows the boxes round letters to
> > collide while the letters themselves don't, I'd like to allow the
> > empty space in a VoltaBracket to collide with eg stems... of the top
> > of my head I think this is normal behaviour in the music I've seen.
>
> Remember to keep lilypond traffic on lilypond-user so that everybody
> else can read the replies.

Sorry. It's no problem when I'm at home using my email client, but at the moment I'm \
using webmail which doesn't seem to know about "reply all". If I forget to manually \
edit the list in ...

> I don't know if you can ignore collisions, but you could always move it
> around
> with #'extra-offset.  I can't recall ever seeing collisions in
> well-engraved
> music, though.

If you mean a stem colliding with the volta bracket itself, I'd agree with you. If \
however, you mean a stem colliding with empty space in the volta bracket, I probably \
see that all the time. Lilypond's default offset of 5 looks weird to my eyes, but I \
guess it was set at that to avoid the effect I get, of brackets bouncing up and down \
to avoid collisions.

As I think I said, think of it as kerning ... the boxes surrounding the characters \
are allowed to overlap, because the characters in the box don't actually occupy the \
whole box. For 90% of a volta bracket, it only occupies the very top of its box, so \
typically a colliding stem or head will not *appear* to collide.

I'll play with extra-offset (I presume it's happy with negative values?). I'll also \
investigate adding an "ignore collisions" property (defaulting to false, of course), \
because if most of my music doesn't go much outside of the staff, lily's default \
settings are a pain. Bear in mind I'm mostly setting parts for monotonic instruments \
... the only time setting an "ignore collisions" property to true will cause me \
problems is if I go higher than b in the bass clef or e'' in the treble. It'd be less \
hassle to ignore collisions by default and adjust such collisions as might occur.

Cheers,
Wol