List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Dead notes
From:       Alexander Rose <alexander.rose () weirdbyte ! de>
Date:       2004-10-03 21:57:06

Hi Werner Tobin,

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:08:08PM +0200, Werner Trobin wrote:
> I've been using Lilypond for quite a while now, but I never found out how to
> enter a "dead note" (e.g. the "thud" you get when you pluck a string on a
> bass guitar while lightly laying the fingers on the string). Normally people
> use the cross symbol (like for a hihat in drum notation) but with the
> appropriate "pitch".
>
> I'm not interested in correct midi output, I just want to see that cross on
> the paper :-)

Put that in front of the notes you want displayed as crosses:

	\override Staff.NoteHead  #'style = #'cross

And this to switch to normal noteheads:

	\override Staff.NoteHead  #'style = #'default

If you want the crosses in the TabStaff context, I can not help you,
using TabStaff.NoteHead instead of Staff.NoteHead in the example above
do not work for me :-(

Greetings
Alexander