List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Installing and starting
From:       "Maria Flaate" <maroria () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-28 22:09:45

Hello,

I decided I'd download LilyPond after continuous gushing about it from some
of my friends. I'm not quite a whiz with computers, but I thought I'd give
it a go. I've got Windows 98 on this machine. I think I've managed to
download the programme, but when it came to downloading the test as
explained in step 2, I fell out of it. I've saved the test.ly file on my
desktop, double-clicked, but it just comes up as an html page on the
internet. I'm fairly sure we've got a PDF viewer installed. It could be that
I didn't manage to install it, it took about an hour, I don't know how long
it's supposed to take.

Also, when I go to the Start menu and so on, there isn't any sign of
LilyPond anywhere. I don't know if it's supposed to be there along with the
things that you click on to get to Word etc. (not the icons on the desktop,
but inside the menu--did I mention I'm not very good at computers?), but
it'd certainly help, because I don't know how I'm supposed to get access to
the programme otherwise.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer. I'm looking forward to using
LilyPond!

Sincerely,
Maria Flaate