List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Why those amusing font names?
From:       Han-Wen Nienhuys  <hanwen () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-28 21:01:08

kili@outback.escape.de writes:
> Hi,
>
> I poked the sources and the documenation, but I didn't find what causes
> me sleepless nights :-)
>
> Why are the fonts used by LilyPond named "feta" and "parmesan"?

:-)

When we started designing our font, we were thinking of a fitting name
that continued our previously set naming tradition.  Our font was very
beautifully proportioned, so of course we decided to name it after a
young lady in our orchestra that we deemed as beautifully proportioned
as the symbols.  We called it Feta, whic was an abbreviation of
"Font-en-Tja". The abbreviation also points to my deep love for good
food of all persuasions.

After a while, we realized that this was quite immature of us, and we
could not do this without the lady's permission.  So, from then on,
the font was called "Feta - definitely not an abbreviation of
Font-En-Tja" .

The cheese connotation stuck, and naming the ancient font after older
cheese, instead of an older lady, was a natural step.

> ps: *grumbel*, after writing this mail, I'm a little bit hungry. Probably
> I should get some pasta.

:)

--

 Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   hanwen@xs4all.nl   |   http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen