List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: question about chord names
From:       Paul Scott <pslist () ultrasw ! com>
Date:       2003-12-30 8:36:59

chip wrote:

> I am adding chord names to my first piece and have a couple questions -
> 1. When I enter something like F1:maj7 the resulting image shows
> Ftriangle (meaning, I believe, F dim). How do I get FMajor7?

There is a way to customize this.  Someone else may give us a better
answer but I have just chosen to live with the triangles for now.
Triangles are certainly an accepted jazz symbol for Maj7.

> 2. How do I show the bass note of a chord? For example: FMaj7/A

Easy:  f:maj7/A

> 3. How about a chord with an alternate flat 5?
> For example: Emin7(flat 5)

The notation is easy:  e:min7.5-   Unfortunately it is printed as a
half-diminished chord with a small circle with a slash through it.

> I do understand that Lilypond was/is developed as a classical music
> program, but it might work just as well with other forms, like jazz,
> which is what I will be working with, mostly.

There is:
\property ChordNames.ChordName \override #'style = #'jazz

but it doesn't give what you want.

To customize chord name printing see:

Regression Tests/|chord-name-exceptions.ly|
<cid:part1.01070303.00020302@ultrasw.com>

and follow the example carefully.

Paul Scott