List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    stave compression, music reuse, etc.
From:       Kieren Richard MacMillan <kieren_macmillan () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2003-09-28 21:20:32

Hello, all --

I write choral music that includes many different textures, including
the following: extended sections in "unison" (i.e., SA in unison, TB in
unison an octave lower), which can be written on a single line;
homophonic sections, which can (often) be written on two staves; and
polyphonic sections, which require four (or sometimes more) staves. In
a single engraved score, I sometimes need to switch between these
"modes", in order to improve readability, reduce errors, and save space.

Is there any way that I can take advantage of Lilypond to assist with
this? For example, can I assign the same music to four different
Voices, and decide at compile time whether the four voices should be
outputted to one, two, or four lines?

Thanks,
Kieren.