List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: metronome marking and fingering with grace notes
From:       Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson () s3 ! kth ! se>
Date:       2002-02-28 11:45:36

 > I'm a new user, and really love this.  However I have a few
> problems/questions.  I am currently running 1.4.10.jcn1 under Win98SE =

> but expect to be converting to Linux in the near term.
> =

> 1. The metronome marking for quarter/half/dotted half as noted in the
> documentation works (lovely).  But: can someone point me to how/what I
> can do to get a half note or whole note to appear in the metronome
> marking?

In the font, the note head for the half note is called =

"noteheads-1" and that for whole notes is called "noteheads-0".
I think you can figure out yourself how to get rid of the =

stem of the whole note. =

Unfortunately, we don't have any full list of font symbols =

easily accessible. You could take a look in the file
/usr/lilypond/share/lilypond/afm/feta20.afm to find a list
of the names. With some imagination and some trial and error
you could guess which is which. (To translate this Cygwin
style path to a Windows path, just issue the command
cygpath -w /usr/lilypond/...
in the Lilypond command window.)

> 2. I put a fingering (using, e.g., ^"3") over a grace note.  That works=

> but the finger number also appears with the following note.  Is there a=

> work-around?

Unfortunately, the grace note handling is one of the weakest =

points in the stable 1.4.x release. It has been completely
reimplemented in the experimental 1.5.x series but we don't
have any prepacked Windows versions available of any 1.5 =

version. The biggest problem with the grace notes in 1.4 is
probably the handling of slurs and ties in combination with =

grace notes.

If you install Linux, it will be easy to try out also the
1.5 series (with its pros and cons).

  /Mats