List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    [RFC] Upgrade platforms for official binaries
From:       Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development <lilypond-devel () gnu ! org>
Date:       2024-02-22 20:32:34

Hi all,

as noted in https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/2246,
we are starting to run into some issues because of dated software in
CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 20.04. For that reason, I'm proposing in
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/2261 to upgrade
our platforms used to build the official binaries.

For the Linux binaries, the choice of distribution and its version of
glibc effectively determines on which systems our binaries can run. As
CentOS 8 is no more, I think we should go to Alma Linux 8 with glibc
2.28 which only loses us CentOS 7 that will go end-of-life in June
anyway. An alternative would be Debian 10, which also has glibc 2.28
but will enter its (partial) extended LTS phase already in June (while
Alma Linux is planned to be supported until 2029).

For the Windows binaries, cross-built using mingw, we are more flexible
but given the experience with the bundled mingw compiler in Ubuntu, I
think we should just stay on that platform.

Please let me know if there are any objections.

Cheers
Jonas