List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for an Intership
From:       Jean Abou Samra <jean () abou-samra ! fr>
Date:       2023-04-18 18:16:20

Le mardi 18 avril 2023 à 17:14 +0000, Samuel Papelier a écrit  :
> Hello,
>
> As a passionate musician and     current student in python3 (Python Essentials 1 & \
> 2 netacade)   located in Paris   France (I'm a frenchspeaker ) .I'm contacting you \
> to request an intership .This intership is totaly free of charge. It could be for \
> me the chance to go beyond pratices and meet the real world of programmers .
> The intership   will take place   from  22th of  May  to 16th of  June
> I am completely available to provide you with futher information you may regarding \
> my candidacy.
> I'm looking forward to hearing from you,
>
> Samuel Papelier

Hi Samuel,

Welcome to the LilyPond community.

LilyPond is free software (meaning "logiciel libre" in French) / open source. It is \
run by a community of informally organized volunteers across the world who work on it \
in their free time. Consequently, what we could provide as an "internship" is \
probably somewhat different from what one would expect from a more usual internship \
in a company or public service.

The people who read the lilypond-devel-owner mailing list, which you've written your \
request to, are merely the administrators of the lilypond-devel list. This is a \
purely administrative role (like triaging spam) and doesn't mean those who do it have \
some sort of authority over the project. I'm writing this reply on the lilypond-devel \
list instead, that is where developers actually hang out.

Basically, everyone, including you, is very welcome to work on LilyPond, but you want \
to be supervised, your internship contract ("convention de stage") will be a contract \
between you and the supervisor only, not between you and some abstract "LilyPond" \
entity. There is no LilyPond company, since LilyPond is not being run for profit, and \
we currently do not have a LilyPond association either.

To make sure we're on the same page: in practical terms, that also means a remote \
internship. (Note that I live in France, in Gif-sur-Yvette, and if you're not too far \
away, we could meet, but I will be abroad during the last two weeks of your \
internship period.)

What is the context of your request? Are you looking for an internship that will be \
recognized and evaluated by your university or high school? If so, you should first \
ask them if you working remotely on a community-driven free software project as your \
internship is acceptable for them, both on a pedagogical level and on the legal \
level.

Best,
Jean