List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: build problems
From:       Jean Abou Samra <jean () abou-samra ! fr>
Date:       2022-01-12 16:24:00

Le 12/01/2022 à 10:45, Werner Arnhold a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I used the proceeding steps as described in the contributors guide:
>
> ./autogen.sh
> mkdir build
> cd build
> ../configure
>
> I resolved every missing fonts or packages. Then configure ran without
> further complaints. Then I ran
>
> make
>
> There is a file under the build directory:
>
> ./python/out/__pycache__/book_base.cpython-37.pyc
>
> so book_base seemed to be compiled. How to proceed?
>
> Thanks
> Werner

The build system does adjustments to the PYTHONPATH
variable. What does your shell script do? Check that
it adds to the path, not removing what is already
in it.

Also, probably unrelated, doing

   ./autogen.sh
   cd build
   ../configure

means that you are configuring twice,
once in the source directory, with autogen.sh,
and once in the build directory, with configure.
This might not work. Try cleaning everything
(with 'git clean -xdf' in the source directory,
use 'git clean -xdfn' to see what will be removed
before doing this), then only configuring in
the build tree:

   ./autogen.sh --noconfigure # note the --noconfigure flag
   cd build
   ../configure

Alternatively, if you prefer building
in the source tree, just do

   ./autogen.sh

Just don't mix the two methods.

One last thing: building in /usr/local is rather
unusual, it would be a better idea to build
somewhere under your home path, where you have
appropriate permissions, and do 'make install'
if you want the binary system-wide.

Hope that helps,
Jean