List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: Set X-parent of TextScript to NoteColumn instead of PaperColumn (issue 106640043 by janek.lilypo
From:       "Keith OHara" <k-ohara5a5a () oco ! net>
Date:       2014-07-28 1:17:04

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 09:44:22 -0700, <janek.lilypond@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014/07/26 21:36:12, Keith wrote:
> > On 2014/07/26 06:49:41, janek wrote:
> > >
> > > Setting TextScript.cross-staff property to #f is required to
> ensure
> > > that there are no collisions between TextScripts and cross-staff
> notes:

> > The concept of a "cross-staff note" seems strange.  It appeared with
> the change
> > for issue 2527 https://codereview.appspot.com/6827072#msg13

> Hmm.  Do i see correctly that the patch in
> https://codereview.appspot.com/6827072 was then partially reverted with
> commit 7891600a5dd421c1f25776ea3b405c64f4f14752 ?

Right.  NoteColumns are no longer cross-staff.
If we mark TextScript.cross-staff=#t it collides with /any/ note.

Cross-staff things are skipped during outside-staff placement
   axis-group-interface.cc:939
(though it seems they could, with more code, be placed relative to their parent \
staff, without being included in the parent staff's skyline).

Most things that go cross-staff use the side-position-interface to avoid collisions, \
but the engraver for TextScripts does not put anything into its 'support' list so \
that method has no effect.

I think the example of issue 1300 succeeds only because TextScript is put in a \
ScriptColumn with the accent.  It collides in the stable release if there is no \
accent, or a trill in place of the accent.

define-grob-properties says 'cross-staff' means that the object can change shape or \
move relative to its parent, depending on how staves are spaced on the page.   \
TextScripts do not yet respond to staff-spacing, except when they are in a \
ScriptColumn that knows how to avoid a cross-staff beam, and that case seems \
inconsistent.

> Shall i revert commit
> 2371d6ba3b62d4d6dc349ab50fa0d76eadfba044 for now?

I don't know.   The case of issue 1300 was not a realistic input, and similar cases \
fail in the stable build.  On the other hand, from the tracker issue, it looks like \
your commit doesn't provide us with any improvements.