List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: Issue 3330: redo much of the stencil stacking/spacing/empty-check (issue 8869044)
From:       dak () gnu ! org
Date:       2013-04-30 6:20:02

On 2013/04/30 03:10:52, Keith wrote:
> The commit 'simplify stack-stencils' seems strange, and wrong in one
detail.
> I suppose that stacking the stencils from start of list to end is a
bit simpler
> conceptually.

"reduce" is appropriate to use here.  The line stacking (with baseline),
in contrast, is pretty ugly, though.  At some point in iterating the
code, there was a necessity to stack from start to end in order to get
combining spaces right.  Not sure where this is right now.

One thing I consider reasonable is to let \translate #'(+x . 0) ... in a
list not be a noop but indeed move right, while \translate #'(-x . 0) is
restrained.  How much?  Either allowing 0 of sticking out into the left
construct, or allowing "padding" of sticking out, preventing only
overlap but nothing else.

Still working on it.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8869044/