List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: new lilypond-auto mailing list
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2012-03-20 10:47:33

On 2012-03-20 00:28, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:11:46AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> So instead of surprising volunteers by giving them more information than
>> expected we give them less information than expected?
> Bug squad members shouldn't be reading tracker messages anyway.

It's not about bug squad, but about all developers. The comment of the
lilypond users to the bug reports are *extremely* important for
development. On the other hand, all those hundreds of automated comments
to the bug reports are totally unnecessary.

To me the main problem is that we have so many automated comments to a
bug report that the bug-lilypond list is swamped with those
notifications and the relevant human responses are hard to detect (I now
typically ignore all bug mails, since it simply takes to long to find
out which of the ~50-70 mails per day are automated and which are relevant).

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, reinhold@kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
  * Financial&  Actuarial Math., Vienna Univ. of Technology, Austria
  * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886