List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: empty-stencil and point-stencil
From:       "Trevor Daniels" <t.daniels () treda ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-06-26 6:43:24

Trevor Daniels wrote Friday, June 26, 2009 7:32 AM

>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-06/msg00332.html
>>> for a very recent discussion. I actually don't fully understand
>>> the subtleties of discerning when one is more appropriate than
>>> the other, but it sounds like you might!
>>
>> I don't understand why empty-stencil has a non-zero extent; that
>> means it
>> takes up space.

I should have added this to my earlier mail, and I also
forgot to cc the list (well, it is early):

empty-stencil is defined in define-markup-commands.scm as:

(define-public empty-stencil (ly:make-stencil '() '(1 . -1) '(1
. -1)))

Normally a left extent of 1 would be truncated to 0 and
a right extent of -1 to 0, but this doesn't seem to
happen.  I don't understand why.  Its effect is not as
expected, at least not when used on NoteHead, which is
why I used point-stencil.