List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: A few suggestions for Documentation 7.3 "Vocal music"
From:       Graham Percival <gpermus () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-20 23:07:13

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2007/6/18, Graham Percival <gpermus@gmail.com>:
>
>> The lack of a patch is very unfortunate, especially in something this
>> long.  I'm not comfortable blindly replacing the entire doc section with
>> this new one, but it's very difficult to see exactly what is being
>> changed.  Could we at least split up the changes?
>
> My bad; here's the patch. It's a pity I didn't propose any changes
> sooner; while translating the doc, I often find possible minor
> improvements, it never occurred to me that I could officially propose
> them...

I'm very sorry, but I can't accept the patch as it currently stands.
There are three main problems:

1)  Contradictions ( "we'll"): we try to avoid contradictions and use
formal language in the notation reference.

2)  Spaces in lilypond examples: we use two-space indents.  About 50% of
this patch is simply removing one space from the indentation.  (?)

3)  It's very long.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing by itself, but
if this was a much shorter patch, I would commit it anyway and then fix
the above two points myself.

Could you fix these issues and send a smaller patch?  For example, we
could begin by testing a patch that only changes "setting simple songs"
and "entering lyrics"; once that was successful, we could work on
"aligning lyrics to a melody", etc.

Sorry,
- Graham