List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: mensural notation: patch, question, plan
From:       Benk? P?l <benkop () freestart ! hu>
Date:       2005-02-28 20:42:33

Hi,

>  I was wondering, could you provide some description for the NEWS file
>  of what you have changed in the ancient notation in your previous
>  patch?

White mensural ligatures now conform more closely to renaissance usage
(on the input side maximae are allowed; the output has changed completely).
Basic ligatures are (should be) now OK;
dots, accidentals and invalid input are still problematic.

As explained in the description attached to the same post
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2005-02/msg00198.html),
writing a ligature is ambiguous, so the exact look of a ligature found
in a 500 year old manuscript may or may not be reproducable.