List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n
From:       Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson () s3 ! kth ! se>
Date:       2003-12-05 14:37:31

There's no need to hack fonts.scm. The font selection can easily
be overridden by

\property Lyrics . LyricText  \override #'font-name = #"csr10"

The problem is bigger if you use a font where the character coding
in the input file is different from the character coding in the
font file. The problem is that LilyPond uses low-level font selection
commands in the generated TeX files, not the NFSS scheme normally
used in LaTeX.

You could take a look at
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-07/msg00047.html
to see some tricks to apply any LaTeX function to each syllable
in a lyrics line. This might help in certain situations.
One practical problem is that the latexpackages header parameter
to include extra latex packages in ly2dvi/lilypond is a bit too
primitive if you have to supply specific options to a specific
package. For example, there's no way to do specify the equivalence
of
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

   /Mats

Kopecek Tomas wrote:
> I have similar problem. The CM fonts are not satisying in many cases. For
> example in czech texts I have to use CS fonts (modification of CM with
> proper accents for ISO-8859-2 distributed e.g. with TeTeX). It means I
> need to rewrite scm/fonts.scm and substitute all cm* with cs*
> equivalents.
>
> There could be something like `font selection'. If is this system
> (changing  fonts.scm) enough, there should be done some doco. Otherwise...
> who know?
>
>  --
>
> 			Tomas Kopecek
> 			e-mail: kopecek at fit.vutbr.cz