List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    Re: lilypond/input/test add-staccato.ly ancient-tim...
From:       Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson () s3 ! kth ! se>
Date:       2003-05-27 17:16:35

I see a clear need for both! Mostly you want a consequent choice
of note heads, clefs, rests and so on, so you want a full example
of each style. On the other hand, as you say, it's interesting to
be able to compare different clef layouts, for example.

    /Mats

Laura Conrad wrote:

>     Juergen> However, I am not sure if it would not be better to do
>     Juergen> the separation according to notation styles (mensural,
>     Juergen> neo_mensural, vaticana, medicaea, hufnagel, ...) rather
>     Juergen> than according to notation features (time signatures,
>     Juergen> note heads, rests, accidentals, clefs, custodes, ...).
>
> I think having some good examples somewhere of the different styles
> would be a good idea, but the input/test files should continue to have
> examples of the notation features.  Someone who's transcribing a
> particular work doesn't always know the names of the styles (who was
> Hufnagel, anyway?), and needs to look at all the C clefs or all the
> time signatures to see which one is appropriate.

	Mats Bengtsson
	Signal Processing
	Signals, Sensors and Systems
	Royal Institute of Technology