List:       lilypond-devel
Subject:    new section "avoid silly flex induced gcc warnings" in lily/lexer.ll causes compile failure with fle
From:       "Sebastian J. Bronner" <waschtl () sbronner ! com>
Date:       2003-03-26 5:46:23

The new section of code in lexer.ll at lines 786-801 entitled "avoid silly
flex induced gcc warnings" causes a problem when compiling with flex-2.5.27.
The problem lies with the three statements:

	(void)yy_start_stack_ptr;
	(void)yy_start_stack_depth;
	(void)yy_start_stack;

These are member-variables of a class called yyFlexLexer and are defined in
<FlexLexer.h>.  But (at least in flex version 2.5.27), their visibility is
protected.  So, "avoid silly flex induced gcc warnings" cannot see them, and
thus produces a make error: undefind symbol first used... blah blah blah.

My solution for compilation is to comment out this section of code, but I felt
you should know of the situation to create a proper fix before the next
stable release.
--
Sebastian J. Bronner
waschtl@sbronner.com