List:       lilypond-auto
Subject:    Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1228 in lilypond: merge simultaneous rests of the same duration
From:       lilypond () googlecode ! com
Date:       2015-01-25 22:33:56

Updates:
	Labels: -Patch-abandoned

Comment #15 on issue 1228 by k-ohara5...@oco.net: merge simultaneous rests
of the same duration

\new Staff
   << \relative c'' { c4 d e r | r2  e4 g | R1 }
   \\ \relative c'' { c4 b a r | g4 r r g4 | R1 } >>
should give the attached image.

We certainly want rests to be merged by default when they have the same
duration and start at the same moment.  If we over-print the rests in this
case, then it is rather easy to separate them by using pitched rests in the
less-common cases where that is appropriate.

The code on github is missing the layer to let us say "\consists
Merge_rests_engraver" but otherwise looks good, except maybe that it forces
a position of rests so that the old code in rest-collision.cc can't make
the merged rest avoid a third voice.  Instead of forcing positions, we
could set direction=CENTER for rests merged from rests of opposite
direction, and remove the warning message for that case.  Or, we might move
the logic of the code on github into rest-collision.cc.

Attachments:
	1228.png  5.6 KB