List:       lilypond-auto
Subject:    [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4271 in lilypond: wish: ly:cheapest-breaking (or whatever name)
From:       lilypond () googlecode ! com
Date:       2015-01-23 12:33:00

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Enhancement

New issue 4271 by RalphBug...@gmail.com: wish: ly:cheapest-breaking (or
whatever name)

Urs Liska wrote :

following up on a thread that I started some time ago
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-11/msg00139.html)
I'd like to draw the conclusions from that and ask for an additional
breaking "algorithm".

It would be nice to have a compilation mode that doesn't care about
optimizing page layout through calculating "good" line and page breaks (or
page turns) but that rather fills a line until it's full and then inserts a
break at the latest allowed moment. The line can then be spread out to fill
the line width or not, depending on the "ragged" setting.

The idea behind it is: While working on the *content* of a score one
doesn't necessarily have to care about the beauty of the page layout at
all, and so it would make sense to speed up compilation by not having
LilyPond to care about it either.

There is another idea behind it which is related to another wish I'll post
separately. Such a compilation mode would make it less likely that small
changes in the input cause changes in the line (and page) breaking. These
would only occur when the current system actually becomes longer or shorter
by half a measure (in a simplified view).

I can't imagine that this should be too hard to implement, but I don't have
a clue where this would have to start, presumably in the C++ part?