List:       lids-user
Subject:    Re: [lids-user] Security hole(s) in the concept of LIDS ?!?
From:       Peter Looyenga <pl () catslair ! org>
Date:       2004-03-23 13:51:19

> i've found a paper that describe how to take off the lids protection
> in only a few steps. I was shocked how easily it was.

Hmm, nothing shocking about it IMO. A bad security model usually results
in a downgrade in security. I don't think you can blame the used
products over this, only the one who has implemented the security

> Sure, this dokument describes an old version of LIDS. But what if
> there exists similarly weaknesses by now.

The only real weakness I've picked up in that document was bad design.
As you can read the whole concept relies on security inheretance, which
is a bad thing to use by design, just due to cases like this.

The whole article is also pretty obsolete by now; with the several
states the system can be in (BOOT, POSTBOOT, SHUTDOWN) even a bad design
like the one the author used wouldn't have to leave these holes since
init would then have an inheritance of 1000 during BOOT and 0 during
POSTBOOT; problem solved.

--
Groetjes, Peter

.\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc