List:       licq-main
Subject:    Re: [Licq-main] licq man-page
From:       Fredrik Mellstrom <traal () altavista ! net>
Date:       2001-08-08 7:48:35

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 06:19:40PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> I just created a new project called "The Missing Man-Pages
> Project" (http://www.netmeister.org/misc/m2p2/index.html), with
> which I aim to provide programs that don't have a man-page yet
> with a man-page.
>
> I noticed that licq does not have a man-page (or could I just
> not find it?), so Licq now has the questionable honor of being
> one of the first I finished a man-page for, which is attached.
>
> If you want to include it in your distribution, I'd be glad.  If
> you want to change it and use it, I'd be glad.  If you want to
> dump it into /dev/null b/c you have a _better_ man-page, I'd be
> glad.  If you know of any other application that is missing a
> man-page and reported this on
> http://www.netmeister.org/misc/m2p2/missing.html, I'd be glad.

That's really cool!  What a good idea.  I'm not the one who counts
around here, but I have to say, great work :-).  It's a good page.
Two minor details occurred to me while reading through it: 1) It's
not clear how to run the described plugins via the -p flag, i.e.
one might want to say "Jon's GTK+ Gui" (run with "-p
jons-gtk-gui").  Or, state that the names of the available plugins
can be obtained with something like
    find /usr{,/*}/lib/ -type d -name licq -print | xargs ls |
        sed -e 's/.*_//' -e 's/\..*$//' | sort | uniq
But eh, forget it.  Heh.  2) No "Official Homepage" link ;-).
Otherwise I like it!

> If on the other hand, you dump the man-page to /dev/null and do
> not provide a man-page of your own, I'd like to ask you to
> reconsider, as I believe that every *nix application should have
> a man-page. :)

Yup, I'm with you.  If it's in the system search path, it needs a
manpage.

/traal

--
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. /I. Asimov, "Foundation"