List:       licq-devel
Subject:    Re: [Licq-devel] differenz between plugins
From:       Jon Keating <jon () licq ! org>
Date:       2006-04-17 3:57:26

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 11:33:58AM +0200, Martin Garbe wrote:
> I think there is a problem if we have two types of plugins. Up to now
> the plan is to have protocol plugins and gui plugins. I don't really
> know why this classification is done but I think the  difference between
> them is the type of event they work with. Is that true?

It's better to say protocol plugins (PP) and general plugins (GP). (RMS isn't a
GUI and spellecheker won't be a GUI).

Actually, there are PP and GP in the current Licq.

> I can identify two main types of events. One type is passed from the
> daemon to the protocol plugins. It consists of IP address and the data

Which consists of actions the GP wants the PP to do. The daemon will be
very dumb. It will only do what the the GP and PP tells it do. Which
consists mainly of pushing events around and making sure they get to
the correct place. It doesn't do any physicaly processing of events.

The GP won't need to worry about any IP addresses. The PP will take
care of the networking parts.

> Someone said that when the gui plugin (e.g. qt-gi) wants to send a
> message it sends it to the protocol plugin. But that's not possible. If
> I want to use GPG is must be send to the gui plugins first and then to
> the protocol plugins.

Well, GP and PP are not allowed to physically talk to each other. So
when the GP wants to send a message, it tells the daemon. Then the
daemon goes through its pipeline of GPs (if there are any) and after
that passes it to the PP.

> I think it's better not to make a difference between protocol and gui
> plugins. All plugins simply receive and send events. So the daemon
> should handle all the same way. That means sending all events can look like
>  daemon->pushToProto("send-message", pMsgData);
> Here pMsgData can be a void* or a base class which inherits LicqIpEvent
> and LicqUserEvent.
>
> What do you think?

I'll be adding some stuff to the wiki about this soon I hope.. gotta
run back to work now!

Jon