List:       libvir-list
Subject:    [libvirt] Looking for Hypervisor Vulerability Example
From:       Shi Jin <jinzishuai () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-11-30 21:08:12

Hi there,

I am researching on virtualization security and particularly on sVirt.
> From this sVirt presentation[1] and this RHEL-6 documentation on sVirt [2], I read: \

 If there is a security flaw in the hypervisor that can be exploited by a guest \
instance, this guest may be able to not only attack the host, but also other guests \
running on that host. This is not theoretical; attacks already exist on hypervisors. \
These attacks can extend beyond the guest instance and could expose other guests to \
attack.

I am very interested to know about the exact attacks: which version of hypervisor on \
which OS, how was the exploit used and how it affected the systems.

I want to be able to reproduce one of the attacks in our lab so that I can \
demonstrate to people on the security issues and then how sVirt could be used to \
actually prevent to attacks on hosting system and other VMs. I believe a real \
demonstration is better than a million words.

I appreciate your help.

Shi

[1]:http://namei.org/presentations/svirt-lca-2009.pdf
[2]:http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/chap-sVirt.html