List:       libusb-devel
Subject:    Re: [Libusb-devel] [win] autoclaim interface
From:       Graeme Gill <graeme2 () argyllcms ! com>
Date:       2010-05-22 8:33:50

Peter Stuge wrote:
> It is now absolutely clear to me that the WinUSB backend-backend will
> only ever offer second class support for libusb programs. In many
> cases that will be enough, and it has some very important advantages,
> but the only way to use full libusb API will continue to be with
> libusb0.sys.

I think that's an over reaction. Once the more system dependant
exotica is taken care of (setting configuration, claiming interfaces),
the important part (sending and receiving messages) has reasonable
coverage with winusb. It is likely to work with a lot of devices.
The autoclaim certainly didn't interfere with my libusb-win32 V0.1
setup logic, it all just worked. That said, libusb.sys is much
more flexible.

> Good thing that it happened, so that this discussion came out. :)

Not really, it seems instead to indicate that this feature was the
right approach.

>> I guess I'll re-enable the feature then.
>
> Please don't. I would move it out and return failure for
> _set_configuration() on Windows until the libusb0.sys backend-backend
> is in place.

That breaks a lot of code that works fine with winusb currently. This
would therefore be a backwards move.

Graeme Gill.